Friday, September 18, 2009

Not so sure I am ready

Ready for what? You might be asking? For this girl who sits in the car daydreaming about driving one day....

As I sit in the ER room last night waiting to have 3 staples put on the top of her head. Now when I say staples, I really mean staples like the one you use to hold papers together. And in exactly one week on her 10th birthday she will have them removed just like you would remove staples from a paper. Now you might be wondering how does one get to the point of having her head stapled together?

Well...you prop yourself on top of the kitchen counter top even after Mom says, "please don't do that, it is DANGEROUS," and proceed to hit your noggin on the corner of a kitchen cabinet and slice it wide open. Then you proceed to scream bloody murder and say things like..."This is the worst day of my life, EVER!" and " I NEVER want to go in the kitchen again!" and continue on with more intense screaming of the bloody murder kind. Thankfully, I had plenty of recruits to step in and help with the mini-crisis at hand. By the way, many many thank you's from the bottom of my heart for taking over and allowing me to get her to the ER quickly.

And as we rush to the hospital of course in a calm and non-speeding kind of way, Rylee asks about 1001 questions, all of which I gave calm one word answers to. Now, the one question that stumped me and had me smile was..."Will my brain still work?" Needless to say, we make it safely and all is well. We left with extras like a stuffed bear and an orange popsicle. At least she left smiling over those two things. I am sure the hospital will be smiling just as much as they process the bill...

In the end, I am thankful she is back to normal. I am sure she is having a fun day of show and tell today at school. Oh the joys of" war wounds"! If anything, I do hope she has learned her lesson!!! We shall see...

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Poor thing. I have such a hard time believing she will be 10 next week. That means Nathan and I have been together for 10 years! Wow. I hope her head heals quick.

Tonya Lee said...

I love the hospital part- way too true! I also know from Will's tongue experience that neighbors who let you drop your other children as you run to the ER are priceless! Hope she's all better, brain and all!

Tara said...

So glad she is OK! Ouch...that sounds like it hurt. Again...sorry my child was the other one screaming while this was going on and adding to the drama! That is so funny about the brain question...it is so funny how different people have different concerns. Pretty sure my concern would have been...are they gonna have to shave some of my hair?

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to drop a note to say how amazing the Apple's are. You guys never stop LOVING and thats what really shocks us. Thanks for being the Apple's and never forget who loves you the Burke's!

Tabitha said...

Poor Rylee! I'm glad her brain still works though! And I completely know what you mean about growing up to quick. Sean will be 11 in three months and the other day I had some of his classmates parents telling me they've had "the talk" already. I am sooooo not ready for this!!